All students/trainees and employees of KIT and its cooperating institutions are entitled to participate in the KIT university sports program:
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Karlsruhe Cooperative State University (DHBW) -studentsonly
- FZI Research Center for Information Technology
- National Institute for Science Communication
- Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences (HS) - studentsonly
- Karlshochschule - International University - studentsonly
- Karlsruhe University of Music (HfM) - studentsonly
- HFG - State University of Design Karlsruhe - students only
- Kunstakademie - State Academy of Fine Arts Karlsruhe - students only
- The Karlsruhe University of Education is not a cooperating partner, but PH students are eligible to participate in the competitive sports and competition communities only. Registration for this is done through the online portal.
The eligibility must be proven by the matriculation number (student). Employees of the universities enter their official telephone number. This information will be checked by the university sports administration. To check eligibility, student/staff IDs must be carried at all times and presented upon request.
Regardless of the course selected, the semester base fee is charged once. Depending on the course selected, further course fees will be charged. The fees are collected by direct debit from the participant's specified account during online registration. Through online registration, the payment status can be checked at any time.
In the case of returned direct debits, processing fees of 3 euros per booking transaction will be charged, plus the processing fees of the credit institution that rejected the direct debit.
For access to our health center "walk-in" and the associated offers, interested parties should contact the "walk-in" directly.
For tournaments and competitive events as well as special events, special booking and cancellation conditions usually apply, which will be announced in each case.
A rebooking is possible if there is no waiting list. To do so, the course director must contact the sports department by mail. There will be no refund of course fees due to rebooking, but the fee will be credited against the difference in fees. If a transfer is made to a more expensive course, the difference will be charged.
A withdrawal is possible in principle. The withdrawal must be communicated by mail to the sports department. The following cancellation conditions apply:
- Within the first four weeks after the start of the courses, there are no cancellation fees and 100% of the fees will be refunded.
- No refunds will be made for cancellations received after this time.
- The base fee is generally refunded if no course registration was possible. Cancellation is not automatic. This requires an e-mail to the sports department.
The paid base fees/participation fees will be transferred to an account to be named by the person withdrawing. A cash payment is not possible. The university sports administration can allow exceptions in exceptional cases, which must be justified in writing (e.g. unfitness for sports, proven by a medical certificate).
In case of repeated unexcused absences of individual participants, the respective course management can cancel the course. Please email to sportreferat∂sport.kit.edu. Cancellations do not automatically result in a refund of fees for the participant; for this, a course withdrawal by the participant to the sports department by mail is required.
Scope of services
The respective time scope of the offers is indicated on the university sports homepage. However, courses may be cancelled if:
- the course day falls on a public holiday or in a lecture-free period (e.g. Christmas and summer closure periods),
- force majeure occurs,
- German university championships or other major events require the respective hall time,
- there are unavoidable disruptions to the course of operations such as construction work, repairs, etc,
- a course instructor is prevented from attending and the university sports administration is unable to find a qualified replacement at short notice,
- courses offered in municipal or other sports facilities, whose operating hours are tied to school vacations, may have different running times.
In the case of outdoor courses, participants are not entitled to a refund if course dates are cancelled due to adverse weather conditions. Participants are responsible for compliance with passport and customs regulations for courses abroad.
Course cancellation by the university sports
The University Sports Department may combine or completely cancel programs if, for example, the minimum number of participants is not reached. Participants who have already paid the fee at the time of the cancellation or change can take another offer of their choice within the same fee group in the current program, subject to available places. It is also possible for the participants concerned to withdraw from booked offers in the event that they do not materialize. In this case, any course fees already paid will be refunded, but there is no further entitlement.
The sports halls may only be entered with clean sports shoes with abrasion-resistant soles that are not used in traffic. The sports shoes must be appropriate for the sport. This regulation applies to all sports courses in halls and on grass courts. On tennis courts, shoes for clay courts (no outward protruding tread) are mandatory. Further regulations for sportswear for special sports (e.g. sailing) may be issued, these will be brought to the attention of the participants in an appropriate form at the time of registration.
The following information pertains to the legal accident insurance coverage of properly registered university sports participants.
Legal accident insurance protection applies to all official university sports events:
- at all sports courses (with exercise management) according to the semester program,
- at internal as well as external university sports special events (e.g. courses, seminars, excursions, other official course units),
- at internal and external competitive sporting events (applies only to enrolled students!*), as long as they are registered through the university sports department and are attended by them
- as well as on the related routes (including abroad, the choice of the means of transport is optional)
* Students who have already been exmatriculated are no longer covered by accident insurance through the Studierendenwerk if they participate in adh events (still possible 1 year after successful graduation), since they no longer belong to the respective university.
In this case, there is NO separate regulation at the adh or the possibility of a separate supplementary accident insurance for competitions.
- Participation in events of other universities (with the exception of inter-university, joint events of several universities such as competitive sports events and courses).
- Sports activities on the university campus without organizational integration into the official university sports program or without an exercise leader contractually bound to the university sports program
- participation in competitions without registration through the university sports department
- private interruptions of the way to the place of the university sport activity or back home (e.g. shopping, regulars' table) as well as detours for private reasons
KITemployees are insured according to the principles of company sports. According to these principles, the sporting activity must be suitable to compensate for the work-related physical strain, must take place with a certain regularity, and must be related to the company work in a manner corresponding to the compensatory purpose. Events of a competitive nature are excluded from this.
For civil servants, an accident occurring in the course of their participation in university sports is not considered an official accident. Employees must observe the applicable regulations of their institution when reporting accidents.
Participants of free sports groups without HSP exercise management are not covered by accident insurance.
In the case of courses offered by other organizers, which are only arranged by the University Sports Department, participants are responsible for their own insurance coverage. It is therefore recommended that you take out accident and health insurance as well as travel cancellation insurance and baggage insurance, if applicable.
Accidents must be reported immediately to the responsible offices of the cooperation institutions and to the HSP.
Basically, all participants and course leaders of the university sports are recommended to take out a private liability insurance to obtain insurance coverage in case of personal injury or property damage to third parties while practicing sports.
Liability for theft and damage to private property in the exercise facilities used by the university sports is excluded by the organizer. This applies even when using the valuables lockers in the foyer of the Sports Institute and the lockers in the changing rooms. All participants are advised not to bring any valuables with them.
University Sports is only liable if damage has been caused intentionally or through gross negligence by an employee.
Participation in excursions and other group events is at the participant's own risk. For all courses not organized by the university itself, the university sports department acts only as an intermediary. Accordingly, the Hochschulsport assumes no liability for any damages, accidents, losses or delays of the participating passenger and transportation companies. Travel to external courses in your own car is at your own risk. The University Sports Department is also not liable for theft, damage or loss of luggage. The taking along of sports equipment is also at your own risk. The respective organizers of the courses are named in the announcements.
How can I introduce a new sport offer or take over the exercise management in an existing sport?
If you are passionate about a sport that we don't offer yet and you can imagine being responsible for it in the university sports department, then send us an email to sportreferat, in which you introduce the sport and we will make an appointment. ∂ sport kit edu
The same applies to taking over the leadership of an existing sport. Write us an email and we will connect you with the appropriate department head.
Who is eligible to participate in college athletic events?
How will the applicable fees for participation be paid?
Can the course fees also be paid by bank transfer or in cash?
Is it possible to participate in the course without registration?
Can a sport be tried out during a trial training?
We do not offer trial training, as unregistered participation in the HSP courses is not permitted. Nevertheless, the sports courses can be tested within the first four course weeks. During this period, a fee-free refund is possible in case of cancellation. For reimbursement please write a cancellation mail to the following mail address: sportreferat∂ sport kit edu
Where can I get more information about the courses and the sport?
The course is full? How does the waiting list work?
How can I cancel my registration for a course?
Course cancellation is possible at any time and can be done by sending an email to sportreferat∂sport.kit.edu can be arranged. Within the first four weeks after the start of the course the fees will be refunded, in case of later cancellation there will be no refund. The base fee will only be refunded if no course registration was possible.
Where can I find notices and other information about KIT University Sports?
The notices are usually posted on the info board in the foyer of the Institute of Sport (building 40.40), on the 1st floor of the New Hall (building 40.44) and in Hall 3 (building 30.81). Up-to-date information, program changes and notices of special events can be found under"Latest News" and on the homepage of the Institute of Sport and Sport Science. For further information, it is also worth subscribing to the University Sports Instagram account.
Is there insurance coverage for sports accidents for participants in university sports events?
Where can I get a confirmation of participation for e.g. my health insurance?
Is weekend use of the sports facilities possible?
Except for the walk-in, the sports facilities are available on weekends with appropriate, early request via e-mail tosportstaetten∂sport.kit.edu only for KIT university sports groups (tournaments, courses, etc.).
Can free KIT sports groups get additional or different hall times during the lecture-free period?
In general, the sports facility schedule of the previous semester is valid until the beginning of the new lecture period. For changes or additional times, please contact the sports department in writing (or send an email tosports department∂sport.kit.edu.).
I injured myself during a university sporting event, what do I need to do now?
- Accident report must be filled out legibly by the exercise supervisor and signed. This can be found either at the janitors (glass box, building 40.40) or digitally on our homepage: https://www.sport.kit.edu/hochschulsport/downloads.php
- You can hand in the accident report to the janitors, send it by e-mail to Beate Sewerin(beate.sewerin∂kit.edu) or put it into one of the mailboxes in front of building 40.44 or on the first floor of building 40.44.
- Please inform the doctor (see homepage of the accident insurance) that it happened during the university sports.
- If you have any questions, please contact Beate Sewerin: By mail(beate.sewerin∂kit.edu) or phone (+49721 608-43233).